Best bug zapper for gnats at home
Gnats in the kitchen can appear not only in the heat of summer. Small gnats are disturbing and annoying, disturbing the comfort of the home. Today we will tell you the most effective ways to get rid of gnats in the kitchen - the best bug zapper for gnats.
Where do gnats come from?
Before you start fighting midges with the best bug zapper for gnats in your kitchen, you need to understand what causes midges in the kitchen in the first place. There are three main causes:
- Came in through an open window from the street or through a ventilation shaft from the neighbors, from the basement of an apartment building/cellar of a private house.
- Appeared from eggs laid on purchased fruit/vegetables (fruit flies).
- Appeared from eggs laid in the soil for houseplants.
The reason for their appearance is important to find out if only because a pair of flower and fruit moths have different habitats and food preferences, which means they hatch differently.
How to remove gnats? Best bug zapper for gnats at home!
So, you know where they come from, now you can proceed to the operation to remove midges in the apartment with the help of the best bug zapper for gnats.
Folk craftsmen have long come up with a lot of ways to remove gnats from the kitchen. Top 3 recipes from CRIOXEN:
- The bright smell of this root discourages fruit flies - you can keep a few pieces on the table, in cabinets, in the refrigerator.
- All insects do not like it, which will help you in the fight against them. Put several sprigs of juniper, frankincense, spruce cones in an iron bowl, set fire, open the ventilator and close the doors to the kitchen. Unwanted guests will fly out the window.
- Black and red gnats will not get in the apartment with this smell - they are just afraid of it.
Flower aphids are disposed of differently:
- Black pepper. Just sprinkle it on the soil and water the flowers as usual. Charcoal, garlic, and citrus zest have the same effect.
- Insert them with their heads down - after a while the sulfur will dissolve and kill the midges without harming the plant.
- A tablet per 6 liters of water. After a few waterings you will forget about your problem.
- Watering with a weak solution helps kill the eggs and larvae living in the soil.
- Household soap is the best bug zapper for gnats! One is not dangerous for flowers, but is considered one of the main helpers against pests. Water, spray with the soapy solution. Or simply grate the bar and spread it over the soil in the pots.
Store remedies - bug zapper for gnats
If you do not trust the conventional wisdom or do not want to bother - buy in the store special products that will help catch and destroy bugs. These can be: bug zappers, aerosols or sticky tapes.
Aerosols are sprayed away from children and animals, so empty the kitchen before treating. Then follow the instructions:
- Close windows.
- Spray the product over the entire area.
- Leave the room, close the door.
- Open windows and doors after one hour and ventilate the room thoroughly.
This method kills any midges, so if there were a lot of them, the kitchen will need to be thoroughly cleaned. Chemical poisoning is an effective option, but it only works on adults. After a while, new ones will hatch and the procedure will have to be repeated.
If you use the best bug zapper for gnats, it kills the adults and their eggs.
Velcro tape hangs up where children and animals can't reach it, and adults shouldn't touch it with their hands or heads.
Tip: If your kitchen is large or the gnats are breeding on an unbelievable scale, hang a few stickies.
Instead of tape, you can make a homemade device:
- Cut a small piece of cardboard.
- Make a convenient hanger from any thread, rope.
- Smear the surface with honey (to attract insects).
- Hang it in any convenient place.
The gnats are light and stick to the honey just as well as the sticky layer on purchased devices.
Store remedies for flower gnats can be in the form of:
- liquid solutions for watering and spraying;
- dry pellets that act on the surface;
- sticks that are stuck into the ground.
Traps with their own hands
The most effective trap for midges in the kitchen works like a fishnet - that is, the midges fly into it and cannot get out. The main conditions for effectiveness are:
- Bait in the form of sweet fruit, honey, fragrant moisture;
- A small hole, which is not easy to get into.
You can make a trap for fruit moths by yourself from improvised means:
- Take a vessel with high walls (jar, glass, bottle).
- Put or pour on the bottom of it a favorite delicacy of gnats - a fruit slice, jam, honey, apple or wine vinegar.
- Twist a cummerbund with a narrow hole of paper, seal it hermetically in the container.
- After a few hours of work, when the gnats have already accumulated in the jar - pour them with water and soap (directly through the paper funnel).
- Wait 15-20 minutes for the insects to die and pour it down the toilet. Repeat the procedure if necessary.
Tip: The trap will work better if the paper is yellow or orange instead of white.
Traps made of other materials will have about the same effect:
- Food film with a few small holes on top of the can/cup;
- a plastic bottle cut in half with the neck inserted inside like a funnel.
How to get rid of gnats quickly?
An effective and almost instant way to get rid of midges in any kitchen is 70% ethyl alcohol or more. Pour it into a sprayer and spray the room, trying to get it on the midges themselves.
Adults, larvae and even eggs will die instantly - after this treatment you will only have to wash the kitchen.
The main advantage of alcohol - the comparative safety for people and animals, such treatment is much less harmful than chemical sprays, while at the same time effective when you need to take urgent action.
Of course, the best work bug zapper for gnats, as adding this device to any of the methods - you will achieve the best effect!
Getting rid of midges is definitely harder than preventing them from breeding in your kitchen. To prevent little flies from plaguing you in the future, follow our recommendations:
- Empty the trash can regularly, especially if it contains various fruit or vegetable scraps.
- Wash the trash can every time you throw away a bag. Especially if the bag is torn and leaking - don't leave a breeding ground out in the open for fruit flies. Wash it, then put in a new one. The cabinet under the sink also needs regular preventive cleaning.
- Check and cover bottles of flavored liquids: vinegar, wine, juice, compote, beer.
- Cover leftovers with a lid and put them in the refrigerator or cupboard; do not leave open plates on the table. Keep closed not only fruits, but also cereals and dairy products.
Tip! Instead of food wrap, you can use reusable silicone soft covers or eco-friendly wax wipes - they keep food fresh and reliably protect against the attacks of midges.
- Remove dishes from the table and wash them immediately after eating. Get rid of clogged sinks if you have this problem - insects can live, feed and multiply in plastic pipes.
Important: To make sure that the midges live in the drain pipes - glue a film coated with honey on the inside to the outlet. If after 1-2 hours you saw midges on the trap - it means that the matter is in the sewer. To remove midges in this part of the apartment, simply boil soapy water and pour it into the pipe.
- Dry kitchen sponges and rags well and don't leave them lying around.
- Remove or throw away immediately if you find rotten, spoiled food - rotting garbage is a pest's paradise. The same goes for spilled liquids.
Keep your dining table, countertops, and sink clean every day. Now you know the most effective ways and you can get rid of the little bugs in your kitchen in no time. Good luck!